Essential oils are derived from plants and are often used in aromatherapy to support better health and well-being. These plant-extracted liquids have been used in beauty and cleaning products, but now, according to new research, they can work as good medicines if appropriately inhaled. Usually, you don’t get these oils in pure forms but a mixture.
- 1 Some Popular Type Of Essential Oils:
- 2 Massage Therapy – Health Benefits of Different Essential Oils
- 3 It Helps Improve Stress And Anxiety
- 4 It Helps In Migraines And Headaches
- 5 Helps With Insomnia And Sleeping Issues
- 6 It Helps In Reducing Inflammation
- 7 It Helps To Nourish Your Skin
- 8 Other Benefits With Essential Oils
- 9 How To Use Essential Oils?
- 10 Possible Side Effects Of Using Essential Oils
- 11 The Bottom Line
Some Popular Type Of Essential Oils:
- Lavender Oil – It is one of the widely used essential oils that help treat insomnia.
- Rose Oil – Rose oil is expensive due to its soothing fragrance, often helpful in stress and anxiety.
- Tea Tree Oil – A natural deodorant often used to boost immunity and treat fungal infections.
- Peppermint Oil – It is beneficial in treating digestion problems and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Lemon Oil – Lemon oil aids digestion, mood, and more.
Massage Therapy – Health Benefits of Different Essential Oils
It Helps Improve Stress And Anxiety
According to experts, around 43 % of people going through stress or anxiety take up alternative therapy to deal with the same. Some essential oils like orange and lavender are beneficial to treat stress and anxiety.
In aromatherapy, the fragrance of these oils helps relieve stress and anxiety alongside the other treatments. Using essential oils during a massage relieves stress, but the effects may only last while the massage occurs.
It Helps In Migraines And Headaches
Some studies have shown that people who applied peppermint oil and lavender oil have experienced relief in headache and migraine symptoms. Also, applying chamomile oil with sesame oil on the temples may treat headaches and migraines. But to get to some conclusive results, more studies are needed.
Helps With Insomnia And Sleeping Issues
Smelling lavender oil improves sleep quality, especially after childbirth and for those with heart problems. Smelling lavender oil also helped people in waking up fresh and energized.
It Helps In Reducing Inflammation
Essential oils have proved their efficiency in fighting inflammatory conditions. One study with mice has also shown that oregano and thyme oil is perfect for this problem.
It Helps To Nourish Your Skin
Essential oils have been used in beauty products due to their deep nourishment properties. In particular, lavender and tea tree oil have anti-inflammatory properties that help treat irritation and skin conditions like acne, eczema, insect bite, and burns. These oils have also shown effects in lessening the appearance of wrinkles, which improves skin texture.
Other Benefits With Essential Oils
Aside from aromatherapy, essential oils have other benefits also. Many people use these oils to freshen up their homes and laundry. Also, these are eco-friendly alternatives to mosquito repellants. Apart from these, there is slight evidence that essential oils may extend the shelf life of products.
How To Use Essential Oils?
- By Inhalation – Through this method, you can smell essential oil’s fragrance by diffusing the oil in a diffuser or by inhaling it through a spray.
- Orally – Some people ingest essential oils for various reasons but make sure you do it very carefully.
- Through Skin – Some essential oils get absorbed in your skin by massaging them. Make sure you dilute essential oils as they can’t get directly applied to the skin.
Possible Side Effects Of Using Essential Oils
People often think that essential oils are completely safe as naturally derived, but this isn’t the case. The truth is, plants and herbal products have bioactive compounds that may cause some harm to your health, and essential oils are no exception.
However, when applied or used with a base oil, these essential oils are completely safe. If you’re consuming the oil by inhalation, make sure you consider other people who might be inhaling the aroma in the environment, especially pregnant women, pets, and children.
The best way to use an essential oil is by inhaling it. The key is to inhale for 15-60 minutes but never more than one hour at a time. Always follow all the instructions mentioned on the bottle and always consult a doctor before taking aromatherapy. If you have a heart condition or chronic health issues, you must take extra precautions.
As we said, a diffuser is the most effective way to yield the benefits of essential oils. If you don’t have one, you can drip some oil into a bowl of steaming hot water. Whatever method you’re using, take one or two drops of oil. Keep a safe distance for, say, a few feet away and take deep breaths. You can practice aromatherapy daily, but only if you follow all the safety measures and inhale essential oil for a prescribed time only. If you’re practicing the therapy in a room, make sure you open the windows after it.
The Bottom Line
Essential oils have more than one benefit, and you can find one depending on your needs. Since these oils are not FDA regulated, some brands sell diluted oils with synthetic fragrances. Make sure you settle for organic oil-free from pesticides, fillers, and chemicals.